Re: Beagle - Evolution entries not updating when email moved

On Wed, 2006-03-22 at 17:14 -0500, Joe Shaw wrote:

Thanks for this reply - I assume you're the same Joe Shaw that has
replied to my Bugzilla report.

> On Mon, 2006-03-20 at 23:37 +0000, John Halton wrote:
> > I'm running Evo 2.4 and Beagle 0.2.2 on a Debian Etch/Sid system. One
> > problem I'm having is that some recent emails (i.e. received in the past
> > 24 hours) are appearing on Beagle searches, but then when I click the
> > email it comes up in Evolution as blank.
> >
> > I assume this is because the email has been moved to the Trash folder
> > but Beagle still has it logged as being in the Inbox.
>
> Is the email actually moved into a different mailbox, simply been marked
> as deleted, or expunged from the mailbox?

It seems to make no difference whether it gets moved to Trash (where I
assume it is simply being marked as deleted rather than expunged) or to
a real subfolder within the mail directory.

> > How long does/should it take for Beagle to realise the email's moved? Is
> > there any way of giving Beagle a bit of a shove to get it to re-index
> > the Evolution folders more quickly? I've tried stopping and restarting
> > beagled but that doesn't seem to have helped.
>
> It can take a while depending on the size of your mailbox and whether
> you are using mbox or IMAP.  There's no way to kick it, unfortunately.
> The slowness is inherently a problem with the way Evolution stores its
> data and how Beagle has to access it.  Restarting the daemon doesn't
> help.  (And in fact actually hurts, because it has to recrawl all the
> mail again.)

My mailbox is probably around 200 MB (since I've downloaded all my Gmail
messages for a mixture of backup and beagling reasons) and doesn't seem
to take too long for beagled to index. I've found that deleting the
Evolution-related folders from ~/.beagle and restarting beagled forces a
reindex without causing any noticeable problems with performance so far.

> The Evo guys are working on a fix, however, and the backend hopefully
> will be getting an overhaul soon.

That's good to hear. I will sit patiently and wait :-)