Re: beagle++

http://beagle.kbs.uni-hannover.de/

> I was interested in learning, if:
>
> 1. Beagle++ is an Open Source Software

It's open source.

> 2. Under which license is it distributed?

Still debated, multiple licenses, inherited from beagle, sesame, apache, and
jena.
The research-project is funded by the european union, copyright is kept by the
authors, results have to be publicly available (that's the current state I
think, IANAL)

> 3. (If it is an OSS) I would be interested in knowing if there is a
> developer community and how does one involve in and contribute to the
> project? (Are there docs for the developers?)

Only the researchers here at L3S (names are at the publications page
http://beagle.kbs.uni-hannover.de/publications.html)

It's a research prototype, so no fancy documentation right now, but we have a
(currently non-public) wiki and mailing-list.

On Mon, 2006-06-19 at 17:38 -0400, Joe Shaw wrote:
Hi,

On Mon, 2006-06-19 at 14:23 +0200, Max wrote:
> I just wonder why i never heard about it before. Has there been any
> communication between the beagle++ guys and people on this list?

I also exchanged some private email with them a while back, but nothing
really came out of it.

> Looks like they are still using a quite outdated version of beagle and
> programming most of their stuff in java. The approach still looks
> interesting. They use Sesame as a data storage for their RDF based
> metadata.

I checked out the repo and they seem to have a version based on 0.2.6.
Not sure how complete it is.

> I wrote them an email trying to find out what their plans are and what
> licence they are releasing their code under.

Good idea.