Scribus filter / c# advice needed

I just added a filter for handling Scribus (http://www.scribus.net)
files to bugzilla, one problem with it at the moment is it can only
handle scribus files from version 1.3.4 onwards as version 1.3.3.x and
earlier generate slightly invalid xml.

The thing stopping me from using an XML parser on earlier files is
simply that they use character entities that are not allowed ().
Obviously I could load the whole file into ram and do a search and
replace, but maybe some c# gurus can give me some advice one how to
efficiently do this using stream readers/ writers so I can just
connect the output from that into the XmlReader and never load the
whole thing into ram?

Alex Mac