Re: Scribus filter / c# advice needed

efficiently do this using stream readers/ writers so I can just
connect the output from that into the XmlReader and never load the
whole thing into ram?

One way I would try is to create a BufferedStream stream and create
your XmlTextReader from it. Use a byte[] as the storage - check the
XmlTextReader source to see what buffer size they use to read from
stream. If your filter is well behaved, then it most probably be using
anything else other that Read(byte[], int offset, int count),
ReadByte(), Close(). Implement them using your internal buffer. And
whenever your read anything in your buffer, do a search and replace in
the buffer.