Re: MailDir

Hey,

On Fri, 2005-05-20 at 16:00 -0400, Michael R Head wrote:
> I always thought that one of the cool things about gnome-vfs was that
> you could simply pass a (chained) URI to a file in an archive, and the
> application would then be able to use it directly. If the gnome-vfs
> backend allowed writing back, then the file would be writable,
> otherwise, it would be read-only.

Yeah, and the problem here is that you're also inventing your own URI
scheme.  Not that there is one for this sort of thing, I don't think.
But you'd want to get buy in from KDE.  I'd love to see a unified VFS
mechanism... it'd make things a lot easier for us. :)

> But it seems that sort of thing never took off, and it still wouldn't
> solve the mbox problem, unless an mbox gnome-vfs chaining backend were
> written...

Yeah, and I think we can all agree that's not a good idea. :)