Re: Patch for Result Sets

Hola,

I'm in Buenos Aires on vacation for three weeks, so a release won't happen
until I get back.  Therefore if you think the backends can get updated in
that time, this level of destablization is okay with me.

One thing we need to be careful about is generalizing the visualizations
too much.  Each type of data in each context requires its own specific,
tuned visualization.  Therefore I think we do need to provide pluggable
renderers for the various Result types.  Separating the renderers from the
result finders is a good move, for sure.  We should be careful to document
the various types of result objects, so that new backend authors can get
some visualizations for free.

One of the conclusions of the Vandevar Bush paper was that users need
multiple visualizations of their data; this premise is corroborated by a
large body of user interaction research.

Also, I hope that those of you who have been modifying the HTML rendering
to add frames and tables will read Edward Tufte's books.  Data should not
be imprisoned in visual distractions like borders, when the borders don't
serve a specific and useful semantic purpose.  Though the matches look
more uniform nowadays, this is actually a disadvantage for the user:
different types of data should not look the same.

I'm eager to get back and get a release out, but the three weeks of
decompression are pretty welcome as well.

Best,
Nat