Re: Patch for Result Sets

On Sat, 2003-12-20 at 19:21, nat ximian com wrote:
> Hola,
>
> I'm in Buenos Aires on vacation for three weeks, so a release won't happen
> until I get back.  Therefore if you think the backends can get updated in
> that time, this level of destablization is okay with me.

Let me have a bash at the other backends in the next few days and see
how it goes.  It also depends on how many people out there are willing
to do some testing to make sure that the new setup doesn't break
anything.

[Visualisations]

Truth be told, I'm currently avoiding the visualisation issue altogether
by just having a single visualisation (the table-based layout) and have
put no real thought into what the layout should look ultimately look
like, just because I know it's going to have to be pretty different from
what we have today.  Things like arbitrary chopping of results that has
been going on (e.g. only return the first n items that we find) is
obviously a limitation that we'd rather not have, so the intelligence
will have to come back to the GUI to work out what to display, and how.

   What I suspect would be done later on is that the backends will pass
their own visualisation hints along with the result sets, and that will
allow the GUI to display information as it sees fit.  I'd suspect that
the GUI would display by category rather than by backend (does anyone
care that a bookmark came from Firebird rather than Galeon?), and that
the display hints combined with the number of items (and other items
that the dashboard is currently displaying) will define the final
display.  I'm no display expert, though, so my hope is that someone out
there with the relevant experience will be able to work on this at some
stage in the future.

> I'm eager to get back and get a release out, but the three weeks of
> decompression are pretty welcome as well.

Yeah I know how it feels.  Enjoy :)

> Nat

Cheers,
Jim.