Re: Updates Galore

The idea which someone (puck?) has mentioned on IRC once or twice is the
idea of "fading" data.  So, instead of just straight killing things off,
things die off once a certain amount of data has come through (a certain
amount of queries?).  I could see something like this:

* Packet comes in and show data
* Second packet comes in and it puts it's data on the top of the window
* A third comes in and does the same
* Once a threshold is hit, the data from the bottom starts getting
erased as no longer relevant.

I like this idea.  I have already seen when testing that I will test
something, move to check e-mail and a clue packet will be sent and my
test data will go away.  It would be nice if it were just moved down
some.

Thoughts?

Skadz

On Thu, 2003-12-11 at 03:01, Jim McDonald wrote:
> > On Thu, 2003-12-11 at 00:03, Ryan P Skadberg wrote:
> >
> >> The Clue Packet Manager is still crashing here and there.  Large
> >> Segfaults during HTML and Text Chainers.  Haven't had a chance to look
> >> at it yet, but these are the biggest crashes.  Also, seeing Null
> >> Pointer Exceptions in the Text Indexer and RSS backends thus far.
> >> Looks like we need to be checking for these more closely.
> >
> > The crashes occur because of the following sequence of events:
> >
> >         * Cluepacket comes in
> >
> >         * RunQuery in the CPM kills any outstanding running threads
> >
> >         * A new thread is launched for each backend
> >
> >         * One of those backends is a chainer.  it creates a new
> >         cluepacket, and sends it out
> >
> >         * the new, chained cluepacket comes in
> >
> >         * RunQuery in the CPM kills any outstanding running threads:
> > INCLUDING ITSELF!
>
> The reason I didn't fix this one is that I'm not sure what the expected
> behaviour should be.  Does the new clupacket supercede the old one
> entirely (i.e. we shut down the outstanding backend requests and treat
> this as the equivalent of new user input) or does it complement it (i.e.
> we generate a new set of threads with for the clue but keep the old ones
> around)?
>
>    I suppose this leads to a slightly different questions, which is does
> the today's model of saying that the latest clue is all-important and
> any information from older cluepackets should be abandoned/ignored what
> we want to happen?  In a situation where you have lots of frontends and
> a busy user might this mean that dashboard is just continually throwing
> up information without it staying on-screen for long enough to be of
> any use?
>
> > Nat
>
> Cheers,
> Jim.
 Ryan P Skadberg                          E: skadz stigmata org
 The Stigmata Organization                U: http://www.stigmata.org/
  GPG fingerprint = 0B97 F771 E7D2 69B2 FF5C  5693 4E25 7E77 DEF0 CA4B