Re: [Opensync-devel] Ubuntu UDS-Boston, Syncing solutions

On Wed, 2007-10-31 at 15:03 +0100, Michael Banck wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Oct 30, 2007 at 11:45:46PM -0400, Martin Owens wrote:
> > I've pushed the syncing engine and support issue into the UDS as I'm
> > here all week;
>
> Who else from Ubuntu, Canonical or others is there who is interested in
> this and will (along with you, I assume) invest time to
> implement/integrate this?  Is Matthew Garrett still working on
> bluetooth<->HAL integration, and will this be integrated with your
> efforts?

You can expect a lot of effort from me on this as both a SynCE guy
(windows mobile support), and as a core dev of something that would,
IMHO, provide a lot of in terms of desktop integration.

> > I am unhappy about the current dispersed and non integrated fashion
> > with which this functionality is being developed. but I want to talk
> > about it in the context of ubuntu.
>
> I had a look at the UDS schedule some days ago, but couldn't find
> anything about syncing.

John S pointed me to this photo of a whiteboard. But I too failed to
find anything about it online prior to this :(

http://arstechnica.com/journals/linux.ars/2007/10/27/shuttleworth-at-fosscamp-collaboration-brings-brilliant-flashes-of-innovation

> > So if you have any issues you want me to bring up; or your attending
> > and would like to take part. please do reply and register on the
> > blueprint as required.
>
> As others pointed out, it might help to point people at specific
> resources; I assume most people in here never heard of "blueprint"
> (besides, telling people to register on a proprietary service as a
> requirement to take place in a discussion sounds slightly rude to me)
> for example.
>
> So where is the spec, where is the wiki, when is the discussion and
> where can we follow?

These URLs might be handy. Some initial discussion about the plans.
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel/2007-September/024194.html

The main spec is at
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PimSyncPlan

But there are lots of related specs. No joke, its like everyone who
can't code and is on launchpad made a sync related blueprint.