Any ideas for slow computers?

Dear developers,

I just bought an EeePC which uses the Atom CPU. It has an internal
camera which can use cheese.

Taking photo is ok. However, recording videos is lagging and the
recorded video is also not smooth. It is due to the CPU is slow.
But later I found that the video-encoder is using vp8enc and set to
speed=2. If I change it to speed=7 then things works good on this slow
machine.

But I don't want to always have a local modified version of cheese.
I also guess this patch is not good enough for upstream because on
faster machines, speed=2 works fine and creates smaller files. So I'd
like to know if there's any ideas for supporting these slow machines by
cheese. I'm able to implement anything for my EeePC but I just need some
good ideas.

Yours Sincerely,
Paul

--
                                PaulLiu (劉穎駿)
E-mail: Ying-Chun Liu (PaulLiu) <paulliu debian org>