Can Cheese use gphoto to access a DSLR instead of the webcam?

Hi,

I have discovered that gphoto2 will recognise my Canon Eos 600D camera, and will fire it.  I would like to use the DSLR in a "Photo-booth" set up.  So that, at a party, the guests could frame themselves, by looking at a screen (netbook would be ideal), camera would be on a tripod and connected via USB cable to the computer, and then, after pressing the spacebar for example, the program would count down 5,4,3,2,1, and fire.  The result would display and if satisfactory, hitting "ENTER" would send it to the printer.

Suggested outputs could include a Polaroid look-a-like, or a strip of three or four frames a la photo booth standard.  Images could also be emailed to an address or addresses.

 I am not a developer, but this would be a really cool project to promote Linux.

Has this been discussed before?

Cheers

Andrew Greig
Melbourne, Australia