Re: Acer HD Crystal Eye webcam (064e:a117 Suyin Corp.) not working on Ubuntu 9.10 beta and Cheese

On Sat, Oct 3, 2009 at 9:17 PM, Andrea Grandi <a grandi gmail com> wrote:
> I can submit a bug report if you want, but the only message displayed
> whan I start cheese -v is this:
>
> andrea andrea-laptop:~$ cheese -v
> Cheese 2.28.0
> Probing devices with HAL...
> Probing supported video formats...

Apparently HAL cannot detect your webcam (what does
hal-find-by-capability --capability video4linux say?) . We had some
other reports like this but they usually came from users with exotic
devices with unmaintained out of tree drivers.
I really doubt that's the case with you since I'm pretty sure your
webcam worked fine in the past with uvcvideo drivers. Given we didn't
change anything in the device detection code for 2.28 something must
have changed either in uvcvideo or in libv4l.
Some random stuff like lsmod, dmesg, lshal could probably help, but I
don't really have a clue about what is happening.

Ciao,
Filippo