Re: cheese changelog

On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 1:08 PM, daniel g. siegel <dgsiegel gnome org> wrote:
> so it would be enough for you guys, if we just update the changelog file
> when doing a release?

Just to make it clear, ChangeLog with just it's not just "no more
necessary" but having it under version control almost breaks most git
cool features: rebasing.
Suppose you're working on a separate development branch and someone
makes a change on master, you want to rebase your branch onto master
to keep it updated but the guy updated ChangeLog and you updated it
too. Rebasing will fail because you will have a conflict to resolve on
ChangeLog and you will have to manually merge ChangeLogs from the two
branches. This is an issue with the particular format of the ChangeLog
file and it happens every time two people edit it in two different
branches you want to rebase.

So it's not just enough: if a ChangeLog must exist it *has to be*
autogenerated on release.

(Sorry if I'm saying something you may already know but it's worth
stressing that we're not removing ChangeLog because git log is more
cool but because it actually breaks the most useful git workflow).