Re: Upstream work in HAL

On 11/2/07, Patryk Zawadzki <patrys pld-linux org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> All people involved in making gstreamer support and device detection
> better, please join the upstream discussion:
>
> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/hal/2007-October/009845.html
>
> I'm trying to push the detection part upstream so cheese only has to
> do this as a fallback. Ideally cheese should ship with my script so
> people who get a fallback can report the correct .fdi to me and get it
> pushed upstream to hal-info.

Hi Patryk,

Thanks for writing the python script for detecting all video4linux
devices and their capabilities. I'm planning on translating your code
to C and use that in the cheese-webcam class so we don't do the
polling anymore like we do now. Furthermore I want to make a
preference dialog where you simply select the device you'd like to
use.

I have some questions about the two problems you mention at the hal
list, because I'm not sure if I understand them

1. Not all devices work properly.

Isn't this a gstreamer problem when hal reports a video4linux device,
we use it in a supported format and it doesn't work?

2. No ability to distinguish between framegrabbers, webcams and tvcards

I agree that detecting this is nice, but I think for cheese it's
actually better to list of all of them in the preference setting.
People might want to use an external camera, or watch TV with Cheese
;-)

Thanks again for your script.

Jaap