Re: GnomeCard conduit for gnome-pilot

On Mon, 22 Nov 1999, Vadim Strizhevsky wrote:

> Even better solution would be if there was ability to
> have a VCARD record still present in the file, but just
> marked deleted and ignored by gnomecard. Could be done
> with custom attribute, but I don't know if that would be
> breaking the spec.

the cap specification is adding the 'tombstone' property to
ical. the presence of a tombstone for a calendar component
indicates that the component has been deleted.

seems like the whole point of custom attributes is to allow
the specification to be extended where necessary. i suggest
adding an X-Tombstone attribute for deletions.

> Modification could also be done pretty easily with
> custom attribute and proper support on gnomecard side.
> Or alternatively you could use REV attribute, but I'm
> not sure that's a good idea.

ical supports a sequence property for calendar components.
each time a modification is made to the component, the
sequence number is incremented. perhaps you should also add
an X-Sequence attribute.

these are the reasons to move to ical sooner rather than
later. the people who designed that spec have shipped
products that perform these tasks already, and they've done
the hard work of figuring out where the old standards are
lacking.