Re: [BuildStream] 1.4 release timeline, targets and breaking changes

On Wed, 2018-11-14 at 09:01 +0000, Angelos Evripiotis via BuildStream-list wrote:
Hi!

Just checking we didn’t miss out an exciting breaking change :)

Are we also planning to remove 'bst checkout' in favour of 'bst artifact
checkout' in 1.4? That would be cool.

That is fine with me, yes it would be better to do all of the breaking
changes we would want in one cycle, hopefully only leaving behind the
plugins separation for 1.6, and then never do it again.

It sounds like without recursive checkout, it wouldn’t have feature
parity though (‘--deps run’). Did I understand this correctly?

When running `bst artifact checkout` and providing an element instead
of an artifact name, we would have feature parity.

We would have the additional feature of being able to checkout a single
artifact by its artifact name, also.

As you point out, only `--deps none` can work with artifact names until
 recursive resolution of dependencies via artifact metadata instead of
loaded project state is implemented, so we will need early exits in 1.4
for these cases.

* bst artifact subgroup

This was discussed at length on the mailing list, and has not come
to a conclusion (I am supposed to post a summary to pick this back
         up).

The thread starts here:

https://mail.gnome.org/archives/buildstream-list/2018-July/msg00051.html

This is too large of a scope to hope to land in 1.4, however some
of the features are easy enough to implement and we expect a
minimal implementation of:

o bst artifact log (display a build log of an artifact)
     o bst artifact checkout

     For the checkout command, it cannot be born with a recursive
     checkout as this requires reconstruction of the build graph from
     artifact metadata, and we agreed this would be out of scope for 1.4.

     STATUS: Todo

It was mentioned in the original 'bst artifact *' message:

  o It would also be interesting to move `checkout`, `push` and `pull`
    commands under the new `artifact` group (deprecating the existing
    commands).
https://mail.gnome.org/archives/buildstream-list/2018-July/msg00051.html

We can add it to the breaking changes in 1.4 if so:
https://gitlab.com/BuildStream/website/issues/24

I agree with this, note that `push` and `pull` also have `--deps`
arguments and will need the same treatment as `checkout` for the same
reasons.