Re: [BuildStream] 1.4 release timeline, targets and breaking changes

Hi!

Just checking we didn’t miss out an exciting breaking change :)

Are we also planning to remove 'bst checkout' in favour of 'bst artifact
checkout' in 1.4? That would be cool.

It sounds like without recursive checkout, it wouldn’t have feature parity though (‘--deps run’). Did I understand this correctly?

> * bst artifact subgroup
>
> This was discussed at length on the mailing list, and has not come
> to a conclusion (I am supposed to post a summary to pick this back
> up).
>
> The thread starts here:
>
> https://mail.gnome.org/archives/buildstream-list/2018-July/msg00051.html
>
> This is too large of a scope to hope to land in 1.4, however some
> of the features are easy enough to implement and we expect a
> minimal implementation of:
>
> o bst artifact log (display a build log of an artifact)
> o bst artifact checkout
>
> For the checkout command, it cannot be born with a recursive
> checkout as this requires reconstruction of the build graph from
> artifact metadata, and we agreed this would be out of scope for 1.4.
>
> STATUS: Todo

It was mentioned in the original 'bst artifact *' message:

> o It would also be interesting to move `checkout`, `push` and `pull`
> commands under the new `artifact` group (deprecating the existing
> commands).
https://mail.gnome.org/archives/buildstream-list/2018-July/msg00051.html

We can add it to the breaking changes in 1.4 if so:
https://gitlab.com/BuildStream/website/issues/24

Cheers!
Angelos