Re: [BuildStream] 1.4 release timeline, targets and breaking changes

On Wed, 2018-10-31 at 22:50 +0900, Tristan Van Berkom via BuildStream-
list wrote:
* Remote Execution loose ends

  At the gathering, Jürg, Jim and myself had a meeting discussing
  some architectural points about how remote execution fits into
  BuildStream in general, considering some existing use cases.

  A few things which fell out of this:

  - We need to separate the configuration of the remote execution
    CAS from the BuildStream artifact cache CAS, as it is an existing
    use case to push to multiple artifact caches, and it is not
    guaranteed that a project's artifact cache is hosted by the same
    CAS as the remote execution service used to build it (although
    sharing the CAS is usually a good recommendation).

Related to this, I think we should also aim to fix #631 (user
configuration for remote execution) before 1.4. At least the
buildstream.conf part. CLI options could be deferred but not having any
user configuration for remote execution in 1.4 doesn't sound ideal. Or
is this just me?

Jürg