Re: Proposal for Remote Execution

My plan was to have the source plugin use a temporary directory and
then import the contents of that directory (in the future) into CAS
during the fetch job. With this there should be no additional overhead
during the build job. And later FUSE will reduce staging cost for the
build job.

I don't expect source plugins themselves to require any changes, this
should be handled by BuildStream core code.

Indeed, _stage_sources_at handles this temporary directory nicely.
However, we won't be able to run any commands in the sandbox, and this
includes integration commands used to stage dependencies, so I don't
think we will be able to do much with them before the FUSE is
implemented - unless you were planning to extract to a temporary
directory to run each sandbox command, which seems impractical.

Right, we need FUSE to make use of this. Without FUSE / remote
execution, the sandbox root directory should always be a regular
directory (or rather, a virtual directory with a native filesystem
backend). The temporary directory for each sandbox command would be too
expensive.

Jürg