Re: [BuildStream] BuildStream releasing model

Hi,

On Tuesday, 31 July 2018 10:18:54 CEST Paul Sherwood via Buildstream-list
wrote:
On 2018-07-31 08:28, Tristan Van Berkom wrote:
On Mon, 2018-07-30 at 16:51 +0200, Paul Sherwood via Buildstream-list

wrote:
Hi folks,
as discussed on IRC today (from [1] onwards) I (and others) think
that
the BuildStream releasing model is confusing for new users and would
like to suggest that we change it now, rather than later.

IIUC understand it Tristan chose the current model because it is
commonly used in GNOME projects, but I don't think that's a good
justification.

I most certainly did not, I have been using these versioning semantics

My mistake, then, sorry.

for projects regardless of their association to GNOME, because the
even/odd minor point numbering scheme provides context about what is
stable/dev, where alternative numbering schemes don't communicate that
well.

Please let's not use 'stable' since what engineers typically mean by
'stable' is often not what users expect or need.

In Open Source, the original meaning of "stable" versions were based on one
of the definitions of the word:

* "(of an object or structure) not likely to give way or overturn; firmly
fixed."

This is a very "physics/science" centric definition. Stable refers to "not
moving". Given the background of most Open Source advocates back then, it
made sense.

Later on, Open Source became more and more popular and many of the
newcomers, with different background, understand stable as:

"not likely to change or fail; firmly established."

Obviously the concept stable has become misleading and Paul S. is not the
first one to point it out.

At least in my case, in the same way that I adapted when the enterprise
industry embraced Open Source and pointed the nomenclature issue between
"maintenance" and "support" (Open Source used the latter), I understand it
might be time to adapt and stop using "stable".

There is no clear alternative at this point though. Maybe there is meat
here for a nice blog post.

I will answer the proposal later on. I need to digest it.

<snip>

Best Regards

--
Agustín Benito Bethencourt