Re: [BuildStream] BuildStream releasing model

On Mon, 2018-07-30 at 16:51 +0200, Paul Sherwood via Buildstream-list wrote:
Hi folks,
as discussed on IRC today (from [1] onwards) I (and others) think that
the BuildStream releasing model is confusing for new users and would
like to suggest that we change it now, rather than later.

IIUC understand it Tristan chose the current model because it is
commonly used in GNOME projects, but I don't think that's a good
justification.

I most certainly did not, I have been using these versioning semantics
for projects regardless of their association to GNOME, because the
even/odd minor point numbering scheme provides context about what is
stable/dev, where alternative numbering schemes don't communicate that
well.

[...]
Note also that the current documentation doesn't actually make it clear
which version to use (and the path most folks will follow is likely to
lead them to master) which is a separate problem that I've raised as
issue 528 [3]

Thanks for filing this !

While this will be better communicated with a website, and will become
much less necessary when users can install BuildStream with their
package manager (or via an installer which we will have to provide for
non-Linux systems), we should certainly have some text in our install
guide to express this for those who install from git.