Given that buildstream consumes other build systems. how is that helping with build tools misbehaving ?

Are you arguing that the ability to build isolated environments to construct software builds reproducible software ? I'm fairly sure I can provide evidence that it will not provide binary identical software.. So where is this value ?

   Edmund

On 2018-01-25 11:35, Paul Sherwood wrote:
Hi folks,

I'm attempting to establish some fundamental truths about software for
the trustable.io project, and have taken a shot there [1] at defining
what are the typical/fundamental problems with software construction.
I'd be interested to know

a) if BuildStream is attempting to address the problems I've documented, i.e.

- builds take too long
- build process/tooling is complex and/or involves multiple approaches
- build tools misbehave in unexpected ways
- build tools generate different outputs on different machines, or between runs
- builds are affected/modified by dependencies/inputs/upstream changes

b) if there are other problems the BuildStream community is aware of,
that BuildStream is also attempting to address

br
Paul

[1]
https://gitlab.com/trustable/trustable-mustard/blob/master/markdown/construction-problems.md