Re: What Problem does BuildStream Resolve ?

On 25/01/18 11:35, Paul Sherwood wrote:
Hi folks,

I'm attempting to establish some fundamental truths about software for the trustable.io project, and have taken a shot there [1] at defining what are the typical/fundamental problems with software construction. I'd be interested to know

a) if BuildStream is attempting to address the problems I've documented, i.e.

- builds take too long
- build process/tooling is complex and/or involves multiple approaches
- build tools misbehave in unexpected ways
- build tools generate different outputs on different machines, or between runs
- builds are affected/modified by dependencies/inputs/upstream changes
Could you reword or expand on this last one? I'd expect dependencies/inputs/upstream changes to affect the build.