Re: [BuildStream] bst show all and bst build all flags

Hi all,

As the original requester of this feature, I'd like to provide some
background for the request. We were working with some large projects
(many thousands of elements), with a lot of leaves. We wanted a simple
way of building everything so that we can warm up the artifact cache,
and validate that all elements still build. This is currently doable
by having a stack element that depends on all the leaves, but we were
trying to avoid having that stack, as it would have thousands of lines
in it, and won't really serve any purpose other than for this build.
So, we thought that having BuildStream build everything without typing
all the element names would be nice. It's worth noting that so far we
did not had any platform-specific elements.

If we are saying that that is only doable if we have a stack element
that lists all the dependencies, then I don't think it solve the
original use-case.

I can see the above points about why it might not be possible to build
everything. For those reasons, we may still adopt the approach of
having a default stack element (if people would like this kind of
functionality). But, we should mind that it would not solve the
use-case I had in mind for creating those tickets. For that, I am
still looking at a solution for "here's a large project, build as many
elements as you can find". Maybe it does not make sense to solve this
in BuildStream, and do it outside of BuildStream as we currently
doing.

Cheers,
Chandan