Re: [BuildStream] bst show all and bst build all flags

Hi Tristan,

On Tue, 2018-12-04 at 20:19 +0900, Tristan Van Berkom wrote:
I do not expect we can ever guarantee a project where every element is
able to build with every possible configuration of options.

The assertion "(!)" directive exists explicitly for certain YAML
fragments inside the project to fire an informative error in the case
that that YAML fragment is invalid for the current configuration.

By this logic, there is no way to "build all elements", and the
assumption that one can build all of the elements in a project under
the same project option selection is simply false.

For this reason, the only way forward which makes any sense is to have
an explicitly specified target element as Jürg suggests, probably with
a recommendation that this should be a stack element which captures as
much as possible under the default build configuration.

I.e., do you think we should not support this at all for projects that
don't have a corresponding configuration? My expectation was that we
default to all elements but allow projects to override this in
project.conf because for many projects 'all elements' doesn't make
sense, as we both agree. Either approach works for me, as long as
configuration is possible.

Cheers,
Jürg