Re: Improving staging performance

On Wed, 2017-11-29 at 22:18 +0000, Angelos Evripiotis wrote:
I think Sander's idea of stage-on-demand fuse layer might be the most
productive so far, but it might take some "actual real work" to get
that done, and to get it optimized to a level where the python layer
does not add significant enough overhead to cancel out the
optimization.

I'm glad you say that, because on a similar note Sander pointed me towards
sandboxfs. It aims to solve much the same problem for Bazel.

https://blog.bazel.build/2017/08/25/introducing-sandboxfs.html

The idea is that you feed it a list of paths and where they map to in
the sandbox.
It provides a fuse layer that you can base your sandbox on.

It's implemented in Go and is currently experimental, I imagine we might take it
on as an optional dependency.

Sounds like something we might prefer to have our own implementation
of, along with the SafeHardlinks layer and the layer we will inevitably
need for addressing infamous bug #38.

If I were to put in the effort of making a proof-of-concept patch for
integrating into
BuildStream, would you have time to evaluate it?

Of course !

I just can't say when unfortunately - certainly not in 2017.