Re: Improving staging performance

I think Sander's idea of stage-on-demand fuse layer might be the most
productive so far, but it might take some "actual real work" to get
that done, and to get it optimized to a level where the python layer
does not add significant enough overhead to cancel out the
optimization.

I'm glad you say that, because on a similar note Sander pointed me towards
sandboxfs. It aims to solve much the same problem for Bazel.

https://blog.bazel.build/2017/08/25/introducing-sandboxfs.html

The idea is that you feed it a list of paths and where they map to in
the sandbox.
It provides a fuse layer that you can base your sandbox on.

It's implemented in Go and is currently experimental, I imagine we might take it
on as an optional dependency.

If I were to put in the effort of making a proof-of-concept patch for
integrating into
BuildStream, would you have time to evaluate it?