Re: [Builder] DX of using stable Builder version

On Tue, May 3, 2016 at 12:12 PM, Christian Hergert <christian hergert me> wrote:
Hi Anatoly,

On 05/02/2016 06:21 PM, anatoly techtonik wrote:
Developers know better when a product is better than
package maintainers. What is the proper way to use
latest stable version of Builder on Ubuntu?

One possibility, if you are fine with the restriction, is to install
Builder using Xdg-App. The restriction is currently that you cannot use
Builder to build Xdg-App's when run in Xdg-App (because the container
technology on Linux does not allow us to be recursive).

Nice. So it is LXD for applications..

I am writing this, because there might be no other chance to reply. I
failed to install xdg-app, because it is not available from Ubuntu, and
Gnome wiki was 503 to read instructions. So DX check failed for me. )

Additionally, the terminal support in Builder will show you the
file-system layout from *inside* the xdg-app (as opposed to your host
system). But if both of these implementation details are okay to you,
the Xdg-App should work fine.

Not sure how would I work with it then. Should I check out files inside
like with LXD? So I need to pass SSH keys and setup everything to
work from inside container? That seems like an overkill.

Is it possible to just share current directory with container?

I just did this to test:

wget https://people.gnome.org/~alexl/keys/gnome-sdk.gpg
xdg-app remote-add --user --gpg-import=gnome-sdk.gpg gnome
http://sdk.gnome.org/repo/
xdg-app --user install gnome org.gnome.Sdk 3.20
xdg-app --user remote-add --gpg-key=gnome-sdk.gpg gnome-apps
http://sdk.gnome.org/repo-apps/
xdg-app --user install gnome-apps org.gnome.Builder stable
xdg-app run --branch=stable org.gnome.Builder

I also noticed that the Xdg-App version of Builder is missing Jedi for
python auto-completion. I'll see if we can get that updated for dot
releases of 3.20.

--
anatoly t.