Re: [Builder] DX of using stable Builder version

Hi Anatoly,

On 05/02/2016 06:21 PM, anatoly techtonik wrote:
Developers know better when a product is better than
package maintainers. What is the proper way to use
latest stable version of Builder on Ubuntu?

I was going to to report some bugs with 3.18, but now
I see that 3.20 is available, and I don't have much
time for yak shaving - DX of downloading .tar.xz and
recompiling (with deps) and relaunching is awful.

Unfortunately with how behind Ubuntu is on dependencies, I do agree this
is a less than ideal situation.

One possibility, if you are fine with the restriction, is to install
Builder using Xdg-App. The restriction is currently that you cannot use
Builder to build Xdg-App's when run in Xdg-App (because the container
technology on Linux does not allow us to be recursive).

Additionally, the terminal support in Builder will show you the
file-system layout from *inside* the xdg-app (as opposed to your host
system). But if both of these implementation details are okay to you,
the Xdg-App should work fine.

https://blogs.gnome.org/alexl/2016/04/15/xdg-app-builds-for-gnome-3-20-are-out/

I just did this to test:

wget https://people.gnome.org/~alexl/keys/gnome-sdk.gpg
xdg-app remote-add --user --gpg-import=gnome-sdk.gpg gnome
http://sdk.gnome.org/repo/
xdg-app --user install gnome org.gnome.Sdk 3.20
xdg-app --user remote-add --gpg-key=gnome-sdk.gpg gnome-apps
http://sdk.gnome.org/repo-apps/
xdg-app --user install gnome-apps org.gnome.Builder stable
xdg-app run --branch=stable org.gnome.Builder

I also noticed that the Xdg-App version of Builder is missing Jedi for
python auto-completion. I'll see if we can get that updated for dot
releases of 3.20.

-- Christian