Re: [Builder] Setting up for gnome-builder development

On Sat, Feb 14, 2015 at 9:43 AM, Omar Barboza Kostiuk <ombako gmail com> wrote:
Hi everyone, I've been following gnome-builder for some time now and I'd like to try it out and see if I can somehow contribute.

Hi,

I'm a java developer, but I'd gladly try to pick up some (at first small) tasks to help with the development, if I can. What do I need for that? What Linux distribution do you use?

If you're looking for a recommendation I would say Fedora, but you can use pretty much whatever distribution you want to build Builder. But see below.

In what IDE do you develop gnome-builder? Or do you just use a plain text editor?

You should use Builder itself. :) It's got a long way to go, but it's usable for daily work. I keep gedit handy when I need to use find/replace, but that's pretty much it.

I checked out and tried to build the latest version, but there are dependencies to libraries that are not yet stable (for example gtk+ 3.15.3) and thus not yet in the repositories of the distribution I use. I also tried building gtk+ 3.15.3, but there again I had package requirements not met, because the installed version are not new enough... it seems a never ending circle. Can anyone point me to the right direction?

The "secret" is jhbuild [1] which will clone and build all of those dependencies for you in the proper order (just replace gnome-weather with gnome-builder in the instructions on that page). This should work on whatever distribution you're currently using so long as you don't see any missing required dependencies when you run the command 'jhbuild sysdeps --install gnome-builder' (and if so, you're on your own to install them). The sysdeps are intentionally kept relatively low so it *should* work on the latest version of most major distros. It's regularly tested on Fedora.

Thanks,

Michael (not a Builder developer, I just happens to read this list)

[1] https://wiki.gnome.org/GnomeLove/BuildGnome