Re: Joliet extensions and files with no filename extension

Hi,

Joerg Schilling wrote:
be careful not to use the "genisoimage" program

Well, as a Debian user, i have it installed. No dot to see at the end
of Joliet names.

Mike Jones wrote:
I tried the xorriso, version 1.4.4 [...]
It too works as expected with no dot added.

I would have wondered if the dot appeared.

Can you produce by Brasero a small ISO image which demonstrates the problem
and put it somewhere for me to download ?
I will then try to find out why a mount facility comes to the idea to
show a dot.

(and it reports using its own libisofs
version 1.4.4).

If you got xorriso from a RHEL package, then it is probably the dynamically
linked one from libisoburn. If so, then its reported libisofs version is
the one from the installed libisofs.so, which Brasero's plugin is supposed
to use too.
You can check by

  ldd $(which xorriso) | grep libisofs

which with my Debian packaged xorriso says

  libisofs.so.6 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libisofs.so.6 (0x00007fbc7c9ef000)

Hopping along the link chain i end at libisofs.so.6.68.0 (which is
libisofs-1.3.2, as delivered by Debian 8).

If it reports "libisofs", Brasero should show linking with libisofs, too:

  ldd $(which brasero) | grep libisofs

or

  ldd /usr/lib64/brasero3/plugins/libbrasero-libisofs.so | grep libisofs

Starting to look like the brasero version of "libisofs" is the odd-library
out?

I am very sure that Brasero has no own copy of libisofs but rather
uses an installed libisofs.so. Its plugin module  libbrasero-libisofs.so
might be buggy or might just have tripped over a libisofs bug which is
not easy to trigger ... or something in our assumptions is wrong.

We should re-assess the overall problem. See my wish to inspect an ISO
made by Brasero.

there's some overloading of the "libisofs" name.
Looks like several projects all have their own version/flavor of it.

libisofs.so.6 exists since 2006, versions range from 0.2.3 to 1.4.4.
There was a predecessor (forgot its .so number) and there is a read-only
"libisofs" announced at
  http://libcdrom.sourceforge.net/libisofs.html
which is unrelated to libisofs.so.6.

In contemproray distros, "libisofs" is the one which i maintain.
Its age varies widely, though.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas