Re: Icon updates once again

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004, [iso-8859-5] °àâñÜ ¿ÞßÞÒ wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've updated icons for beast notebooks and menus:
> * midi-synth (for the tab and menu)
> * mixer (tab)
> * piano-roll (tab, also for parts tab)
> * skin (tab)
> * song (tab+menu)
> * synth (tab+routing tab+menu)
> * tracker (tab)
> * tracks (tab)
> * waverepo (tab)
>
> They're all 16x16 (as all menu/notebook icons in gnome should be) and

i'm not sure that is true for all of gnome, e.g. a debian default installation
comes with 20x20 pixel sized menu icons for the desktop menu. stock gtk uses
these icon sizes: menus: 16x16, buttons: 20x20, small-toolbar: 18x18,
large-toolbar: 24x24, dnd: 32x32, dialog: 48x48. it doesn't provide a stock
icon size for notebook tabs at all.

so beast uses: button: 20x20, big-button: 32x32, dialog: 48x48, menu: 24x24,
tabulator: 24x24, canvas: 64x64,
toolbar==big-button: 32x32, palette==toolbar: 32x32.

here, "big-button" are buttons like the ones used to load wave files, or
to add/delete tracks and palette is the "Palette" dialog poped up from the
"Routing" view of custom synthesizers.

> look rather nice when there'is 4x4 pixels padding from the very edge in
> glade (don't know how to put them to beast myself yet).

i don't know what you mean with "very edge in glade".

> I also beleive,
> all the other (stock) menu items should be requested at 16x16 size as
> well.

i'll not make all the menu icon sizes smaller for every user, we can however
support different icon sizes. that'll just required beast's current icon
inclusion code to become a whee bit more smart to register icons at
different sizes (which gtk supports very well).
it'll take a while to hack that up though, so i'm not sure it'll make the
next release, and i'd like us to agree on a set of new icon sizes then.

so, i'm not going to include your icons atm, because they'd be scaled up
at the GUI and produce pixelize artefacts (rather than scaled down which
looks more smoothly in case your icons were too big).

and while i think your new icons look nice once recognized, it takes a while
to tell what's in there, because they are so small.

> Expect a little update for toolbar icons and svg icons for the modules
> (I hope to finish those very soon). --Artem.

---
ciaoTJ