Re: svg and some ui ideas (was: Re: new icons [attached this time])

On Wed, 8 Sep 2004, [iso-8859-5] °àâÕÜ ¿ÞßÞÒ wrote:

> On mer, 2004-09-08 at 13:31 +0200, Tim Janik wrote:

> > > What would be nice by the
> > > way is the possibility to create per-module interface dialog. So the
> > > ADSR can have vertical sliders, oscillator can have the knobs layed out
> > > in a table, etc. I think it's impossible to construct such a gui
> > > automatically in practice, so an ui constructor implementation is
> > > required.
> >
> > beast already has such a GUI editor. it's just so experimental at the
> > moment (the rack editor), that the code is currently disabled.
> >
> > > However, this could be simplified to the ground if the ui dialog code
> > > would have an implementation of automatic binding of controls to
> > > properties. So the code may look like this:
> > >
> > > void
> > > construct_ui ()
> > > {
> > > }
> >
> > the rack editor is supposed to provide that, just GUI editable without
> > the need to write code. that's because you will want to create such
> > GUIs for entire networks, and musicians can't be bothered to write code
> > for that.
> >
> I thought rack editor is supposed to create gui for a network, not an
> individual module. Is it able to create a sophisicated gui for a module?

well a module is a simple network, right?
if the rack editor lacks a feature to create the module GUI, it probably
lacks the same features for network GUIs (at least, if the network uses
said module), so we might as well add the feature to the rack editor to
be used by all modules/BSE files, rather than code it up for a single
module alone.

> --Artem
> P.S. did you decide not accept patch for the file dialog?

no, i haven't gotten around to take a look at it yet.
i'll comment on patches either way.

---
ciaoTJ