[Banshee-List] Trouble Building Banshee on Linux Mint (Again)

Thought I'd try building Banshee again almost 18 months after first effort. First efforts failed primarily because Mint was based on a dated release fo Ubuntu at the time , but it's up to date now and has been for a while so I thought to give it a crack. So I followed the directions here:
http://banshee.fm/download/development/
under Ubuntu. And all is well until I run autogen.sh which bails with:
checking for Mono 2.0 GAC for Mono.Posix.dll... not found
configure: error: missing required Mono 2.0 assembly: Mono.Posix.dll
Error: There were errors when running './configure', a step that is required to configure banshee
Go figure! I'd have thought that was well covered by all the prerequisites listed, and I've installed MonoDevelop and Mono from the package mono-complete from the Ubuntu repositories (labelled as Complete mono runtime, development tools and all libraries) but no luck. If I "locate Mono.Posix" telling results are:
/usr/lib/mono/4.5/Mono.Posix.dll
/usr/lib/mono/gac/Mono.Posix
/usr/lib/mono/gac/Mono.Posix/4.0.0.0__0738eb9f132ed756
/usr/lib/mono/gac/Mono.Posix/4.0.0.0__0738eb9f132ed756/Mono.Posix.dll
To wit Mono.Posix.dll is installed, but autogen.sh isn't finding it. Perhaps some environment variable or other is what it wants, if it's too blind to find it alone. What is going on and why (again) is Banshee apparently not so simple to build? After all the clear effort that's gone into Ubuntu support on that development page and more?

Anyhow:
bash -x autogen.sh
reveals that ./configure is what's bailing. And:
bash -x configure
in turn reveals that this is what's failing:
+ test -e /usr/lib/mono/2.0/Mono.Posix.dll -o -e /usr/lib/mono/2.0/Mono.Posix.dll
And voila, I have Mono 4.5 not 2.0.

So, that begs the obvious questions:

1) Does banshee really depend on a dated version of Mono? (a version superceded in 2009!)
2) Can I install a dated version of Mono? And if so, how?
3) Can such a dated version of Mono exist in parallel with the latest version without causing hassles elsewhere?

Puzzled, and appreciating any insights.

Kind regards,

Bernd.