Re: [Banshee-List] Slow startup on Ubuntu 15.04

Nick Dokos <ndokos gmail com> writes:

Bob van der Poel <bob mellowood ca> writes:

I just upgraded my distro to 15.04 and the startup for Banshee is
well over 1 minute. Was working just fine before the upgrade from
14.10.

Any ideas as to what's up?

There was an update to sqlite that has disabled an unsafe optimization
in certain cases. Unfortunately, banshee runs into these cases
headlong. I run Fedora 20 and that bit me on an update.

There was a report about it (by me, among others) on this ML
back in October 2014. See the thread starting at

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnome.mono.banshee/14068

and particularly Bertrand Lorentz's reply

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnome.mono.banshee/14068/focus=14103

which contains a pointer to the sqlite bug report.

I was hoping that either sqlite would come out with an update that
speeded up these queries (there was a hope expressed, but not a promise, that
that would happen, in the above mentioned bug report); or alternatively,
that banshee would modify its queries along the lines suggested in the
bug report. Neither has happened yet AFAIK.

I wanted to build latest banshee just to keep track of this problem, but
I ran into dependency hell and then out of time.

If anybody knows any more, please post: I've fallen back into using
Rhythmbox for the past couple of months and it's a hard fall :-)

I updated my desktop to Fedora 21 yesterday and I'm thrilled to report
that the problem is gone. Rhythmbox is back in its box :-)

Version info:

$ banshee --version
Banshee 2.6.2 (2.6.2) http://banshee.fm
Copyright 2005-2015 Novell, Inc. and Contributors.
$ sqlite3
SQLite version 3.8.9 2015-04-08 12:16:33

Thanks,
Nick