Re: [Banshee-List] The artist-centric nature of Banshee (particularly the grid view)

On Sun, Sep 1, 2013 at 6:54 PM, "Andrés G. Aragoneses" <knocte gmail com> wrote:

Well, having a user test my fix would be good anyway. I'll provide you with
the necessary bits so you spend the least time possible.

OK. Go ahead. I'll see what I can do.

... file ... in our bug tracker ...
... could you file bugs about this?
... please file the bug ...

I'm hesitant.

The thing is, I've filed quite a number of bugs in my time, and it
almost never helps. Open source developers write code to scratch their
own itches, and Banshee developers don't seem to be an exception to
this rule. For example, right-clicking on Audiobooks → "Import Media"
imports to the main music library, rather than the Audiobooks library.
If I'm not mistaken, this bug has been known for years. Simple fixes
have been suggested on the mailing-list, but nothing has been done.
You yourself filed a bug —with a patch!— in January, and it hasn't
gotten so much as a response or status-change. In fact, there are 465
reported Banshee bugs with status NEW. That's bugzilla shorthand for:
no one has given this any attention.

You see why this might be discouraging?

Secondly, I'm finding even more bugs. I might not soon be finished
reporting them: (1) When the system volume goes below a certain level,
Banshee mutes. When it goes back up, Banshee doesn't unmute. (2) I've
tried three times now to import an album with artist, album artist,
cover art, etc. all filled in for every track, but still Banshee won't
show the cover art.

I'm seriously considering switching to another application. No offense.

but what is the
case about "No artist"? What is the use case? Are you really talking about
music with no artist? Or about other kind of audio?

Language audio courses, nature sounds, memos, recorded phone-calls.
For a while I recorded myself at night to know if I was snoring. Am I
the artist in those tracks? :-)

--
www.mhelvens.net