[Banshee-List] The artist-centric nature of Banshee (particularly the grid view)

Hi all!

I'm looking for a good application to organize and play my music. Banshee
looks very nice, and I want to like it.

But there is one thing that bothers me. I see hints here and there that
Banshee is very much dependent on the "Artist" ID3 tag. It auto-sorts on it,
groups on it, displays "Unknown Artist" if the tag isn't present, and none
of these aspects seem to be configurable. I myself am much more concerned
with the album I'm playing than the artist.

In particular: I like the grid-view offered by Banshee. At its face it seems
tailor-made to group tracks by Album. But it doesn't. It groups either by
Artist or Album-Artist. Additionally, if the Artist tag is empty, it will
not display the album art (which is embedded in the files AND a .jpg file in
the same directory).

I guess I would classify the album-art thing as a bug. But it seems more
like a symptom of the overall design mindset. Banshee should have
multi-artist album support, but this support feels more like an
after-thought.

I guess I don't have a specific question, but just wanted to start a
discussion about this. What are your observations / opinions on this issue?
Might this aspect of Banshee change in the future? (Would you perhaps
recommend me an alternative application?)