Re: [Banshee-List] The artist-centric nature of Banshee (particularly the grid view)

On Sun, Sep 1, 2013 at 5:09 PM, "Andrés G. Aragoneses" [via Banshee
Media Player] <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I proposed a patch in bug 692107 [1], which I think would fix this bug
> too. Do you mind testing it? (If you don't know how to compile banshee,
> subscribe yourself to the bug and ask me for a testing DLL, and I will
> provide it.)

I know how to compile. But... to be frank, I'm actually quite busy and
don't have the time. Anyway, this particular bug is the least of my
concerns.

>> I guess I would classify the album-art thing as a bug. But it seems more
>> like a symptom of the overall design mindset. Banshee should have
>> multi-artist album support, but this support feels more like an
>> after-thought.
>
> Banshee is highly configurable to many different use cases of diverse
> users. I think that it wouldn't be difficult to adjust some things to
> cover yours as well (but it would require some coding knowledge I'm
> afraid).

Again, I don't lack the coding knowledge, just the time. :-) Sorry.

>> I guess I don't have a specific question, but just wanted to start a
>> discussion about this. What are your observations / opinions on this
>> issue?
>> Might this aspect of Banshee change in the future? (Would you perhaps
>> recommend me an alternative application?)
>
> Firstly I would start talking about metadata: it's not that Banshee is
> artist-centric but music tags are, I think. For example: is there any
> way to specify more than one artist in a ID3 tag of an MP3?

There are many ways to support this kind of thing despite a restricted
standard, such as optionally recognizing some likely substrings as
separator (",", "and", "/").

That being said: yes. In ID3v2.3 the / character is prescribed as a
separator. In ID3v2.4 it is the null character.

And none of this really has anything to do with the fact that the grid
view can group by [artist,album] pair, but not by album. Nor with the
fact that Banshee insists on showing "Unknown Artist", while in
reality there may perhaps be NO artist.

> If there's a bleeding edge version of ID3 which allows this, then I guess it
> is the time to get the ball rolling.

Oh yeah. Bleeding edge since the 20th century. ;-)

Cheers!

--
www.mhelvens.net