Re: [Banshee-List] Banshee Hosting and Domains

Hi,

On Thu, May 9, 2013 at 11:14 PM, Aaron Bockover <aaron abock org> wrote:
Hi all,

I have been paying for the Linode on which the Banshee web site has run
since June of 2010. When at Novell this was expensed, but I left Novell in
January of 2011 for Rdio. Since then I've been paying for the domain names
(of which there are a handful) and the hosting out of pocket. So far around
$2000.

Thanks for having done this for so long, even after it was not really
required anymore. I think you've at least earned free beers for a
lifetime !

While I love this project I started, cherish the years I worked on it
actively, and the wonderful people that have made it what it's become, I
really cannot justify doing this any more.

Can we work together to set a plan in motion to transition the web site to
someplace else? I really need to free my hands of this.

As a first step, I've started a wiki page to list all the services
around the web site, and explore alternatives:
https://live.gnome.org/Banshee/Hosting

Feel free to expand on this initial description, and everyone is also
welcome to suggest and investigate alternatives.

There are going to be some complications most likely. For instance, I do
believe the Amazon/GNOME referral proxy is powered by the Linode.

Yes, that might be the only really dynamic bit. The main web site
could very well be static, I don't think we really need any of the
features provided by WordPress.

We should work with the Foundation to figure out a best course of action.
I'd hope transitioning everything fully onto GNOME infrastructure would be
reasonable, considering the revenue we've generated for the Foundation
through Amazon.

That would make sense, but I don't know if GNOME does any "real"
hosting for its projects, apart from the wiki at
https://live.gnome.org.
But at least we should be able to go through the Foundation to pay for
the domain names.

--
Bertrand