Re: [Banshee-List] Assistance, please (upgrade to 2.6)

If you want it really simple, then you need to look for a pre-made package for Mint. I believe (but I'm not sure) that Ubuntu packages should work.

Ubuntu has a system called "PPAs" (personal package archives), which are repositories of extra packages that are unofficial and maintained by individuals or groups and made freely available. You shouldn't just trust all PPAs, as people could build malicious software in them, but Ubuntu did have a known repository for "current" versions of Banshee that are more up to date than those in the main repositories, which was recommended by the community.

Unfortunately, I use opensuse, so I can't help with anything more specific. I wouldn't recommend building from source, though, as it is messy and not newbie friendly. I'm a developer, I've patched bits of Banshee, and even I fight each time I have to rebuild my Banshee build environment.