Re: [Banshee-List] FINALLY!!! Banshee for Windows and AAC decoding

On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 02:17:56PM -0400, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
On Thu, 2013-06-13 at 03:59 -0700, rtX wrote:
Like you I happily use Banshee on Linux.
I recently tried to move away from iTunes to Banshee on my Windows machine,
and get similar update message issues etc. but also when I try to play AAC
encoded music (which is most of my music), I get the message "Missing
GStreamer Plugin MPEG-4 AAC decoder".  I understand what this means but,
t.b.h. I am a bit clueless about why I get it.  I have tried installing
(independently) both the 64 and 32 bit versions of GStreamer for Windows
from http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/data/pkg/windows/1.0.7/ but
subsequently Banshee still reports the same issue.  Also, having given the
error message it seems to try to play the track anyway, although nothing
actually happens other than the play/pause icon changing
Is there any news about a beta or RC version of Banshee for Windows?

Codecs are a nightmare on any/every platform.  I'd suggest asking on the
gstreamer list;  someone is more likely to know something there [I'd
really expect the codec to already be there on Windows...]

Not all platforms. GStreamer's got codec auto-installation hooks present and
implemented in most distros already.

--
Kind regards,
Loong Jin