[Banshee-List] Release management: upcoming 2.9.0

Hello Banshee devs/enthusiasts!

Since our last communication[1], we have been doing some progress on our goals. We have been shaping up the gtk3 branch of banshee, and we're proud to say that it is pretty much ready for a release (there are still some few glitches to fix, but they are not major, and we still have many development releases ahead to fix them at the proper pace).

So then this is a heads up to let you know that, in the following days, we will be merging the gtk3 branches of hyena and banshee into master. After that, our rough schedule (without fixed dates for now) would look like this:

- Release of a 2nd Gtk# 3.0 preview (2.99.1).
- Release of the first Gtk#3-compatible GudevSharp release (probably named 3.0, or 2.99.1 to match its "father").
- Release of Banshee 2.9.0.
- Work on migrating GStreamerSharp to target GStreamer 1.0 (this step will greatly benefit from the work that Stephan Sundermann is doing for GSoC). - Work on making Banshee default to its GStreamerSharp backend (instead of the unmanaged one, which is currently the default). - Work on (if time permits) migrating banshee-community-extensions GTK3 compatible (including our new FanArt.TV and SongKick extensions developed from our GSoC student, Tomasz Maczynski).
- Release of Banshee 2.9.1.
- Work on finishing the GConf->GSettings migration (which is about 80% done).
- Release of Banshee 2.9.2.
- ...

As usual though, all these bits and pieces will happen "when they're ready".

In case anyone has suggestions on how to improve the above "non"-schedule, or has any comments about it, please share them!

Thanks

[1] https://mail.gnome.org/archives/banshee-list/2013-March/msg00027.html