Re: [Banshee-List] Please Help! I broke Banshee while trying to upgrade to 2.5.1

On 20/09/2012 10:50, rucker222 wrote:
> You are my Hero!!!!
>
> it works :-) I'm using ssh and a remote Desktop session at the moment so
> cant fully test everything but I can see that it has opened finally!!!
>
> thank you so very much for all of your assistance!

Great, good to know that it works. :-)

> Could I please ask what exactly it is that the 'MCS=/usr/bin/mono-csc' is
> actually doing?

It overrides the MCS variable, which contains the path to the C# compiler used
to compile Banshee. Banshee's build system defaults MCS to gmcs which compiles
things against the 2.0 runtime.

However, this causes issues on Ubuntu because the libraries in Ubuntu are
compiled against the 4.0 runtime and cannot be used by programs compiled against
the 2.0 runtime, unless they are executed like: "mono --runtime foo.exe".

/usr/bin/mono-csc is a symlink to the default C# compiler used in Ubuntu -- in
newer versions of Ubuntu and Debian, this is dmcs, which compiles things for the
4.0 runtime.

--
Kind regards,
Loong Jin