Re: [Banshee-List] Slow, slow import

Am 16.05.2012, 18:32 Uhr, schrieb gnomeuser gmail com <gnomeuser gmail com>:

[OFFTOPIC]: David, what is the policy for OS X and mp3 playback/encoding? As
I said i just enabled Streamrecorder, but for mp3 encoding to work lame
would have to be shipped in the .app bundle. I know there a patent issues when sipping mp3 en-/decoders, so i was thinking to automatically disable LAME on release-builds but include it on non-release builds so that users can grab their own bockbuild and create their own .app bundle with patent
encumbered stuff.

I believe the approach is to use the GStreamer fallbacks to access
these things from the platform on which we run. I think that is how we
do mp3 playback legally on Mac at least, I imagine the same would
happen for encoding. Under no circumstances should you distribute
legally problematic builds, since we gather money for GNOME via the
Amazon MP3 store that would be seen as profitting from patent
violation and GNOME would be sued into the stone ages.

Yes, I was thinking of that. It is easy just to exclude the lame binary, then one can only encode with FLAC and ogg/vorbis. I am not sure if OS X has a built-in mp3 encoder, will need to dig into that first.

Greetz
Timo