Re: [Banshee-List] Slow, slow import

2012/5/16 Timo Dörr <timo latecrew de>:
> Am 16.05.2012, 18:12 Uhr, schrieb gnomeuser gmail com <gnomeuser gmail com>:
>

>> 2012/5/16 abellia <andrew bell ia gmail com>:
>>>
>>> The only configuration that I see is the choice of encoding -- LAME MP3,
>>> Vorbis, etc.
>>

>> Okay
>>
>>> What are the other options and where are they?
>>

>> I believe they are in the Preferences->Sources->CD entry, however as I
>> am on OS X where we do not have such fancy hardware support yet I
>> can't check right now.
>>

> Not yet :) I am working on the StreamRecorder extension right know and
> patched it to work on OS X. Encoding to mp3 (using LAME) and FLAC works in
> real-time and produces close-to-zero cpu utilization on my 4 year old
> core2duo cpu.  - so I don't think lack of the CPU power is the reason here.
> It could be the CD-ROM drive, maybe if it reads block after block and slows
> down the disc after each block or sth.
>

> [OFFTOPIC]: David, what is the policy for OS X and mp3 playback/encoding? As
> I said i just enabled Streamrecorder, but for mp3 encoding to work lame
> would have to be shipped in the .app bundle. I know there a patent issues
> when sipping mp3 en-/decoders, so i was thinking to automatically disable
> LAME on release-builds but include it on non-release builds so that users
> can grab their own bockbuild and create their own .app bundle with patent
> encumbered stuff.

I believe the approach is to use the GStreamer fallbacks to access
these things from the platform on which we run. I think that is how we
do mp3 playback legally on Mac at least, I imagine the same would
happen for encoding. Under no circumstances should you distribute
legally problematic builds, since we gather money for GNOME via the
Amazon MP3 store that would be seen as profitting from patent
violation and GNOME would be sued into the stone ages.