Re: [Banshee-List] Slow, slow import

2012/5/16 abellia <andrew bell ia gmail com>:
> The only configuration that I see is the choice of encoding -- LAME MP3,
> Vorbis, etc.

Okay

> What are the other options and where are they?

I believe they are in the Preferences->Sources->CD entry, however as I
am on OS X where we do not have such fancy hardware support yet I
can't check right now.

> Should this really be taking an hour to encode a CD with Vorbis?

It depends, if you are doing a high precision import it will take
longer but you ensure greater security from misreads, likewise
compressing songs on the fly is likely to add to the time it takes.
However on a modern setup with a reasonably good CD drive an hour is
far longer than I would expect. You can try to run banshee --debug and
do the import, see if there is anything in the output that would
indicate a problem. Also if the little throbber in the bottom left
corner is present you can hover the cursor on it to see if something
other background task is active such as Mirage. Finally you can use
top to see if another application is starving Banshee for CPU which
would also cause slowness.

If nothing indicates an obvious problem, please file a bug
(www.banshee.fm/file-bugs for instructions).

- David