Re: [Banshee-List] GSoC idea, finding duplicates

2012/3/13 Alexander Kojevnikov <alexk gnome org>:
> On 13 March 2012 05:15, Samuel Gyger <samuel gyger at> wrote:
>> What is a little bit disappointing, in the past not so many Gsoc
>> projects have finally made it into Banshee, or at least from my view.
>> Perhaps I just wasn't looking careful enough.
>
> All projects from the last 3 years are in the Banshee codebase:
>
> * Song sharing via Telepathy (b-c-e)

True, sadly the student in question didn't stick around to maintain it :)

> * libgpod integration (core extension)

Wasn't a GSoC project, that was Alan McGovern doing it for Novell's
Hackweek. Alan has a long history with Banshee but hasn't been active
in a year or so.

> * UPnP integration (recently committed to the main repository)

Indeed, only sticking point I can see with this one was the time it
took us to ship it but I understand there were external factors
preventing it.

Alex Launi's Now Playing improvements which were a GSoC 2010, I recall
it never panned out for technical reasons and I don't think we even
have the code that was written available anywhere. The only statement
I have seen from Alex was that he hit blockers but he did not mention
the specific issues. Alex did however separately managed to get his
Play After work merged, but since being hired by Canonical we have not
seen him much.

Mike Urbanski was working on Podcast as a Service under GSoC as well
as I recall. Mike wrote the original Podcast extension, and while his
work from GSoC is still available as a branch in git and he
occasionally rebases it. There has been no effort I know off to
examine what parts of that were useful still, if any. Mike has also
gone missing so I doubt there is any input from him on the matter to
be had.

- David