Re: [Banshee-List] GSoC idea, finding duplicates

There is a similar Addon already in the Extension Repository, but…

On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 21:15, Diego Fernandez
<aiguo fernandez gmail com> wrote:
> I've never done any work on a real project before, but now that I'm
> taking Software Engineering at school and I've learned more about
> developing in large projects, I feel it's time to finally start
> contributing to Open Source.
Try to fix some simple Bugs (at least one), just to find out if you
want to dig into this code base. At least my tip, and I hope you're
comfortable with C#.

> So I have a fairly large music collection with about 22,000 songs.
> However, I have LPs, EPs, and Greatest Hits albums for many artists.
> This causes a lot of duplicate songs in my library, and with so many
> songs it's very hard to check manually.
For me there is always a problem that I also like to have complete
Albums, I've for example part of the discography of Johnny Cash and
there are a lot of duplicates over the years, but some a rerecording
etc. and some are even the same, but an album with a missing track
(after deleting duplicates) is also a little bit a problem. I don't
know if there is a way to solve this, or storage space is just to
cheap nowadays and don't care about this.
But what really makes me crazy is that if I add a song a second time
to the ipod it's copied there a second time, even if it's exactly the
same. At least this happens all the time at my ipod. This would be
something to tackle, but it's a bug and not whole gsoc project.

> The simplest, and fastest, is by checking
> things such as artist name, song title, and song length.
This is done by the extension at the current state, although not
always satisfying.

> A better, but longer, way would be using fingerprinting.  I've been
> looking at the Echoprint and Chromaprint (with Acoustid) which could
> be possible candidates.  Since these are also integrated with
> MusicBrainz, it seems like other possibilities could open up for
> Banshee - MB integration.
Definitely something to look into. But try to get in Contact also with
the Extension Author.

What is a little bit disappointing, in the past not so many Gsoc
projects have finally made it into Banshee, or at least from my view.
Perhaps I just wasn't looking careful enough.

Samuel