Re: [Banshee-List] Banshee remote control options for android tablet

Hi,

On Sun, Sep 25, 2011 at 10:25 PM, boydo <bkelly coastsystems net> wrote:
> First congrats on Banshee 2.2!  Thank you devs!

Thanks !

> Just wondering what options people are using/trying to remote control
> Banshee on a tablet.
>
> I have banshee running on a headless fedora 15 (fluxbox) mini pc attached to
> my ampli.  I have an acer tablet.
>
> I have tried the Banshee remote plugin:  Looks nice, (in zoom to fill
> screen) but no support for volume, or playlists two very important functions
> for me at least.  It doesn't seem to be updated recently.

I guess you're talking about this one :
https://market.android.com/details?id=org.nstamato.bansheeremote

Seems it was updated in July this year, and it also mentions that "the
volume of Banshee is controlled by the device's volume buttons when
the app is open".

> Have also simply been using a vnc client (Wyse pocketcloud):  Works quite
> well, but its still vnc, with less responsive mouse, and sometimes awkward
> for special keys/scrolling etc.
>
> How about dlna?  I'm trying to get a better understanding of this.  It seems
> there are options through MPRIS but also through pulse audio.  (I'm not sure
> if these various components will conflict if active at the same time.)  The
> clearfi (dlan) app from acer 'sees' the device but no media.  Not too
> surprising since Windows users also have a lot of problems with this.
>
> Bubbleupnp sees the media but I have only been able to 'play' onto my tablet
> with poor sound quality.  I want to be able to connect to my box and control
> the output to my stereo ampli.
>
> I'm sure this is going to be comming up a lot.  So just wondering what has
> worked for other users?  My wishlist would be to see a better Banshee remote
> on the android market.  Why btw is this not included in the community
> extensions?

I know Gabriel was looking into this last year, and I think he
contacted the developer of the Android app mentioned above. He was
also exploring other possibilities, like DACP. I don't know how far
that went.

I have to admit I'm a bit fuzzy about DLNA and the remote control
possibilities it offers. MPRIS probably offers the features you need,
but it uses D-Bus, so I'm not sure it's appropriate on a LAN.
Pulseaudio allows to stream audio on the network, which is probably
not what you want.

I'd be happy to have the extension for the Android Remote app included
in the Community Extensions repository, if the developer(s) agree.

I'd love to have a nice and smooth remote control solution for
Banshee, so if anyone is willing to pursue this, I'll help out as much
as I can.

--
Bertrand Lorentz