Re: [Banshee-List] GSoC 2011 Ideas from Tobias

On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 9:53 PM, gnomeuser gmail com
<gnomeuser gmail com> wrote:

> 2011/3/29 Tobias Arrskog <tobias arrskog gmail com>
>>
>> First off, thanks everyone for all help so far! I end up creating two
>> proposals:
>> * Tracker integration for Banshee
>>
>> http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/proposal/review/google/gsoc2011/topfs2_tobias_arrskog/1
>
> I talked briefly with Bertrand at the hackfest about this and it sounds like
> Tracker might not be a natural fit for Banshee's current feature set. I
> would personally love to see it happen but it sounds like you might want to
> ask for elaboration on the specifics of the problems with Tracker in
> Banshee.

I don't know much about Tracker, my opinion originates from a
discussion with Gabriel and Rob Taylor during last GUADEC :
SQLite allows you to create your own SQL functions, that you can then
use in SQL queries. In Banshee we have a few of those, which are
written in C#, and are used for searches, amongst other things.
They are defined in this file :
http://git.gnome.org/browse/hyena/tree/Hyena.Data.Sqlite/Hyena.Data.Sqlite/SqliteUtils.cs

This feature was not available in Tracker at the time. Then of course
there's the performance aspect, ie do not make anything slower...

It's been a while now, so things might have changed, and there were
also beers involved in the discussion. ;)
Anyway, the premise of that short discussion was "what would Banshee
need to use Tracker instead of its own SQLite DB". I'm not sure if
that's the idea behind the GSoC proposal, or if it's more about
pulling and pushing data from/to Tracker and still keep our own DB.

In any case, I feel it's more of an "exploratory" project, and that
might not be a good fit for GSoC.

--
Bertrand Lorentz